Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Review for 'Roots' A Witchbound book

'Roots' is the first novel in Kelbain Noel's Witchbound series.








A full moon raises between snowy cedars on a cold starry night. A young african american woman stands with her back to the viewer wrapped in warm blue jacket and knee high boots, long coiled dreads falling down her back. Around her the peace and serenity of winter in the woods surrounds her, snowcapped boulders and a fast moving stream that defies the freeze. A sigil takes up most of the space reminded those familiar with astrology of the sign for a taurus modified only by the gigantic S in its center.
Baltimore Land is almost your typical teenager, moody and angry about moving to a new place, and shirking the traditions of her family just to make a point. But when Baltimore's missing twin brother calls her up out of the blue for a reunion things start to get alot more complicated and Baltimore learns she's anything but normal.

What I liked:
  • Baltimore's relationship and devotion to her twin brother
  • Joslin is a true evil witch
  • The unified approach to magic via different faiths
What I disliked:
  • The usage of first person pov didn't work for me, it seemed clumsy and left a lot of story in the dark
  • There were several times the plot seemed to jump leaving gaping holes in the story.
  • Baltimore seemed to cause more problems than she solved...ever.
  • The author tries to create a love triangle. It doesn't work. Not even a little bit.
  • Um...the name. Really?
'Roots' is an interesting take on when a magickal family transfers over to the plain ole magical side. The history in 'Roots' is complex and detailed but the actual current plot line is lacking in a lot of ways.  I got my copy of 'Roots' for free for the Kindle. It is however currently listed for $3.99. The second book in the series 'Sprung' is available for $4.99. You can find out more about the author and the rest of the series at www.kelbainnoel.com The site is beautiful even if the load time is a little lacking.
3 out of 5 crowns


Recommended for teen readers and those with an interest in magick related faiths in a fantasy setting.





Synopsis: "Seventeen-year-old Baltimore Land just wants to be normal, but magic has other plans.I don't consider myself a witch, that's my parents' thing. I've never really believed in magic either. Sure, I tried it a few times. Fell for the whole "magic happens" thing. But it didn't happen to me. No amount of rhyming stopped my parents from moving me halfway across the country. Not one spell stopped me from being labeled the town freak.
And worst of all, no matter how many times I begged the Universe to bring my twin back, I was ignored. Until now.
He's back all right. And in a magical bind of his own. Not the magic-won't-work-for-me kind either. In fact, it's working a little too well. Too dark. Too deep.
It turns out our entire family's magical roots run just as deep and my brother didn't end up where he is by accident. So I'm going to help him. But magic isn't really on my side. Nope. Once I finally get the craft under control, I'm expected to abandon the one person in the world who's closest to me, just to save myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment